Hello. We are ShipHero (https://shiphero.com). We have built a software platform entrusted by hundreds of ecommerce companies, large and small to run their operations. Many of our customers sell on Shopify and/or Amazon. We’re driven to help our customers grow their businesses, by providing a platform that solves complex problems, and is engineered to be reliable and fast. We are obsessed with building great technology, that is beautiful and easy to use. Our culture also reflects our ethos and belief that by bringing passionate, talented and great people together - you can do great things.
Our team is remote, with all our engineers either in New York or Argentina (BS AS and Mar del Plata). We do daily stand-ups via Google Hangouts and communicate regularly using video chat and Slack.
We are hiring an API Architect to implement V3 of our API. You can see the current version of the API docs at http://docs.shipheropublic.apiary.io/ The API will be in GraphQL with REST as a layer on top so we can support less-sophisticated integrations and will accomplish 3 major goals:
- Address some mistakes we made in the previous API design that makes the API unintuitive to learn to use
- We will be building an app-store on top of the new API, so that the developers working on the ShipHero API can more easily be found and sell their software to more ShipHero customers. The API needs to support permissions and multiple apps per account using it.
- Improve speed and reliability. This is not a major issue yet, but already about US$1billion is being shipping through ShipHero and that number will be 10X in 2 years, so we need to make sure our API is robust and reliable.
We are hiring engineers in American timezones only for right now.
- You understand that great things are accomplished when teams work together.
- You’ve got lots of experience with designing and maintaining APIs that are used at scale.
- Python, SQLAlchemy, FLASK and ideally GraphQL.
- You have lots of AWS experience.
- You can lead a small team and provide assistance and appreciate feedback.
- You take pride in your craft.
- You’ve learned from building systems and solutions the reasons to avoid technical debt, and how to approach and implement TDD and CI practices.
- You can craft elegant solutions when solving complex features and solutions.
- You want to build something that is disrupting an entire industry.
- You’ve made a lot of mistakes, and most importantly, have learned from them.
- Speak to internal and external to stake-holders to understand needs and how the rest of the product works.
- Architect and work with a small team to implement the API.
- Understand business requirements and think through solutions in terms of not just the coding implementation but also how the solution fits into the solution and how it solves a customer need.
- Ability to estimate effort and ship on agreed schedule. Comfortable pushing yourself and your team members when challenges pop up.
- Lead regular code reviews, with the goal of code quality, good design and approach along with pushing engineers to improve and evolve.
- Optimize existing tech stack and solutions, determine path to next step in the evolution.
- Learn, and push those around you to do the same - this is a craft that you’re constantly improving upon.
- Implement solutions that are pragmatic to get the platform built.
- Have the confidence to work with experienced and talented people to just build great things, you’re not a “rockstar”.
- Work with ShipHero leadership to implement practices and principles for the team.